Thursday, May 13, 2010

bazinga.shenanigans

it was 1987...and i was standing outside my old house in mount pleasant, texas. i could tell that for some reason...i was here for a particular purpose; to witness a particular event or hear something significant.

i could smell the honeysuckle that hung from the chain-link fence. the sounds of vehicles rushing up and down edwards street. i was admiring things from an adult mind for the first time...looking at my old place with new eyes. i was no longer the child that ignored the simplicity of my childhood surroundings.

it was me. today...then. yesterday.

i heard a faint scratching sound and peered into the backyard. there, next to an old wooden fence that only connected to one side, was my old companion...D.T. in shock and unrealistic belief...i softly called to him. with a jerk of his head, he raised up from whatever frivalous, mindless task he was at...and ran towards the fence. HE was not one to turn down attention.

then...within seconds...i was running my fingers through my dogs hair. tears started to fall without warning. for this was the same dog that would later run away, escaping from our backyard, into the wild that any creature longs for. it was peaceful, giving him my last goodbye...

the back door opened. i retracted myself from the fence...and started walking down the side road away from my home and back into the darkness.

for a second...i felt like a child again.

No comments: